Monday, August 8, 2011

Album Review: Dream Aria - Fallen Angel

A band like Dream Aria is often hard to place.  With deep guitar riffs, good vocals, and an occasional synth sound thrown in the mix, this album will keep you guessing.  Every track has a unique sound to it, reminding me of several different bands, including (dare I say) Rush.  The vocalist is a female, and the music has a semi-dark tonality, so of course Evanescence occasionally comes to mind, but I think a more accurate comparison would be Nightwish.





Here's a preview of their album:


Fallen Angel:
Fascinating song that tells a cool story.  Loaded with a cool blend of incredible vocals and a deep, deep guitar

Gypsy Heart:
Again, more awesome vocals and deep guitar riffs, blended with some synth and frequent change ups in the sound.

Abstract Relations:
Probably my favorite song.  Opens up with a bass line, and an even deeper guitar riff than the previous songs.  Vocals take their queue in the song after a few seconds, and the song continues to elevate into synth sounds.  The song continues with some serious guitar shredding.

"Every track has a unique sound to it,
reminding me of several different bands,
including (dare I say) Rush."

Tale of Two Wolves:
Opens up with a very melodic and slow opening, and quickly escalates into more synth sounds and a cool drum beat.  The song overall holds a relatively calm, but picks up again in the end.

The Illusionist
Another of my favorite songs on the album.  As the lyrics change the mood, so do the lyrics.  "suddenly it's all a lie" leads to a completely different sound instantly.  It truly personifies the lyrics well.

Carnival of Souls
The band takes on another sound change-up with this song.  This lead singer's vocals in the chorus are truly incredible.  The music just flows well.  I wish I could explain it better, but I can't for the life of me do so.  The instrumentation sort of reminds me of Rush.

Healer
A song more focused on the vocalist than some of the previous tracks.  Another track with instruments that remind me of Rush.

"Evanescence occasionally comes to mind,
but I think a more accurate
comparison would be Nightwish."

The Gift
Awesome vocals, and a semi old-skool guitar rhythm.

Winter Storm:
A mostly-instrumental track.  Dead smack in the middle of the song, the lead singer sings a brief story.  I still insist that I hear Rush when I hear the last few tracks.  Call me crazy, but that's what I get out of it.

What do you guys think of Dream Aria?  Share your thoughts in the comment section below.


2 comments :

  1. Isn't it though? I really enjoyed reviewing this band. They hooked me with their theatrics.

    ReplyDelete